Presented by Mark Alston
- Example of traditional root cause investigation verse a Safety Differently approach
- Why root cause investigations miss important gaps
- Work as Normal compared to Work as Intended
- Failure is not linear. There is a messy story
- Collection of evidence is key
- Comparing Work as Normal vs Work as Intended unlocks true organisational issues
- Operational learning questions
- Put it all together – 3 tier time line
Watch The Video
About Mark Alston
Mark’s extensive experience in investigations commenced as a Federal Agent in the Australian Federal Police, responsible for investigating organised crime and large-scale drug and fraud offences. Since then, Mark has worked for a diverse range of range of organisations including BHP, Rio Tinto, Macmahon Holdings, CQMS Razer, and Mitchell Services with roles in incident investigations, risk management, safety and auditing.
Mark has utilised root cause analysis methods including TapRoot© and ICAM©, 5 Whys and Essential Factors to investigate work place incidents over the past 10 years. Mark has developed and implemented systems of work to manage incident reporting and investigation requirements as well as the training of operational personnel and safety professionals in investigation methodology.
With an investigation process that now focuses on a ‘Work as Normal’ approach, Mark has found a system of investigation that combines a Safety Differently approach with the principals of Human and Organizational Performance (HOP), to identify the true organisational issues that contributed to an event.
As the Principal Facilitator for Immotus Consulting, Mark drives simplicity and quality in the products they deliver. Mark engages with clients and their workers to help them identify and understand risks and develop engaging and practical control management strategies.